Friday 3 August 2012

"We Built This City.."

So this was our imaginative "craft time" today:



Don't you just love it? We used the large squares as a road, and built a city. Then, we used baby cars and trucks and animals to populate the city. Then the giant baby came and attacked!

Anyway, I've been thinking about our community a lot lately and how much I love it. For years the husband and I have been thinking about moving away from our home town. Suddenly, I don't want to leave! We are really starting to build a sense of community and home here finally. It's amazing how you can live some place for almost all of your life, and never truly get to know people, or never truly feel as though you belong.

I am so thankful to the friends and family who are making this possible. The wonderful market vendors are always understanding, helpful and very kind to our family. We have a slew of like minded people to get together with. Volunteer opportunities that speak directly to our hearts. Support. And so I leave you with two things..

So many people say things such as "I wish there was something we could do about it, but you can't fight (fill in the blank)."

Why can't we? Because of people like that. If you're willing to stand up despite any ill consequences, and you band together, you have the power to create change. It might not be 100% the change that you wanted it to be, but every step is a step forward. Even a step backwards is SOMETHING. Don't sit idly by allowing those with more money, more fame, more anything stop you and control your decisions. I have to be a little more cautious because I have children to consider. But that doesn't stop me from acting on my beliefs. Erin Brockavich was one person. Martin Luther King was one person. And be nice to your fellow people, because you never know when that ONE PERSON beside you is going to stand up, walk across the street, and demand change. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. You can. Don't give up. I will never be silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment