Friday 31 August 2012

When The Going Gets Tough..

Make Hummus.

Earlier today something upset me, and so I decided to make hummus. I mean, why not? It's an amazing thing, hummus.

It is versatile, easy to make, fairly cheap, does not take long, goes with several dishes.. it is kind of like peanut butter, but savory. Yes, hummus is the savory peanut butter of my life. Though, it might not go so well with jam. Or will it?

Besides all of that, it is fun to take out aggression on lemons. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to hurt the lemons, I love lemons! But hand squeezing out all of that juice is sure to build some muscles and make a girl feel good about herself. And, the smell! Oh, the smell. Doesn't the smell of fresh lemon juice just perk you right up? So while I drown my sadness in the whirring of our food processor, I begin to feel a little better.

Batch #1 of hummus is lemon garlic, with no specific recipe. I had a big bowl of chickpeas that had been soaked and boiled already and were waiting eagerly to be used up. I threw in some tahini, roughly 4-5 tbsp (it's a big batch), the juice of one lemon, garlic powder, and water. Pretty basic. I then took half of this for Batch #2 of hummus. With this batch, I will be chopping up a hot pepper, and mincing some for the top as garnish. Sounds delightful, no?

While I would have preferred to use much more fresh ingredients, our fridge is sparse. In the meantime, I look forward to using the hummus that I have made. And on Sunday I am making black bean brownies. I really hope they turn out well! I might even splurge and make them a pretty dress of icing. Because everybody deserves to feel beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment