Monday 16 September 2013

Vegan Mofo 2013 Cheesecake

Recently I was visiting my parents house for dinner. They sent me off to the grocery store around the corner to look for something more to eat than the potatoes that I could have. I was first set on some rosemary and green onions to put over those potatoes, but I was flying in the wind from there.

As I walked through and checked out the three places in the store that carry "specialized" vegan foods I came to an abrupt halt. For there in the freezer, was vegan gluten free cheesecake.

I think for a minute I actually jumped up and down. It was so exciting! The only vegan cheesecake I have ever eaten was from a friend who is an excellent vegan baker, and one that I made myself. Actually, I have never even tried non-vegan cheesecake. Realizing that it was also gluten free was icing on the cake. Nothing excites me more than finding fun treats that my children can eat too.

What wasn't so exciting was the cost, roughly $15.00 is steep for one large boxed vegan gluten-free cheesecake. Having made one before though, I knew that cost was close to the price it would be to make my own. So I bought one "just this once" to try it out.



I have to say, it's pretty good! It is not as creamy as the homemade version that I am used to, but only because they used tofu with the cream cheese so it is a bit diluted. I think I like that better, because just using the cream cheese is too rich for my tastes.

As you can see, it was devoured and enjoyed. Don't worry, I shared some with my Mom too!

No comments:

Post a Comment