Saturday 13 October 2012

A Tisket, A Tasket


I didn't take a basket. Before I let you in on our market adventures today, I have something to show you. Prepare, to be - AMAZED! For today I was enlightened into the world of.. are you ready.. it might be too much.. no stay with me! Okay. I'll get to it.

BRUSSEL SPROUTS



They grow like this!? Seriously, who knew? Certainly not me.

My parents presented me with this bundle of sprouts on our way to the market this morning. I was blown away, I have never seen anything like it before. And as soon as I got home want to know what I did? I ordered brussel sprout seeds. That's right, this lady is going to be growing giant sprout stalks. Apparently the man who grew these ones had to chop them down with an AXE. Phew, I'm going to need to build me some muscles.


I have been meaning to post about some of our favorite things to buy at the market besides produce. Well, today is your lucky day. Do you feel lucky? If you do, keep reading. If it's not so much, then maybe you ought to start.


Top: Ghost Pumpkin Soup and Thai Curry Lentil Soup
Bottom: Peppercorn Pate, Green Olive and Roasted Garlic Bruschetta, Lemon Garlic Hummus

The same as the above, only with the addition of Apple Cider.

Yes, one of the dishes is empty. Thank you, lovely Cave Man. Now to be totally honest, these are just a few - of our favorite things. Often we buy home made Tofu, Chutney, Hot Pepper Jelly and a to die for (thankfully nobody did) Grapefruit Tomato Soup.

Ghost Pumpkin Soup: So creamy! I was not sure about this one when I heard about it from our chef people, but Mrs. Chef Lady gave me a sample and it tasted like a very creamy potato soup. Very hearty, indeed!

Thai Curry Lentil Soup: Wow. If you love curry, this soup is great! Also quite creamy, but with much more density thanks to the added lentils and veggies.

Peppercorn Pate: I have never tried "real" pate. We buy this at the Sunday markets from a lady who sells raw foods. That's right, it is RAW. With a base of nuts, and a few whole peppercorns on top I can never resist this purchase.

Lemon Garlic Hummus: Honestly? Not my favorite, but it was purchased as a treat for the two big wee ones. I find the lemon a little too strong, but otherwise it is a really good hummus! And the best part is that I did not have to make it, and it is not full of the preservatives and junk that they put in the grocery store versions.

Now, the empty container. That one I bought for the Cave Man. It is one that he has a hard time resisting, because he is an olive man. And this bruschetta is rich in the olives. Clearly, it is one of his favorites!

In the spring I will do a more thorough blog post about our local market, so just FYI - if you want to see that one, you will have to follow me. Follow me everywhere that I may go. Sorry, could not resist.

If you are unsure of HOW to follow my blog, click on the blue "Join This Site" button on the top right hand side of this page. A window will pop up, and follow the instructions from there. Not so hard, right?

Thank you to all of my readers! I really need to say this, because I have seen that I now have over 700 views. So thank you! This would not have happened if it were not for Vegan Mofo. I cheered the first 100 views, became like a school girl at 200, and felt incredibly proud and humbled at 500 views.

Love and Peace.

2 comments:

  1. I learned about the way that they grow a couple of years ago and I was just amazed. I wonder why they don't sell them that way in more places?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I think they look lovely fresh on the stalk. Though it is much heavier than just the sprouts themselves!

    ReplyDelete