Thursday 25 October 2012

Product Review


With my husbands new job, come many perks. Often we get to sample items, or bring stuff home that is otherwise not being used. It's pretty kick ass. Here is one such product.


Coconut Secret Aminos. It's a soy sauce without the soy.
It is also raw and gluten-free! 

"Coconut palms are one of the oldest flowering trees in the world.  For centuries throughout the tropics, the traditional practice of "tapping" coconut trees for their prized "sap" is a time-honored art form.  The nutrient-rich sap that exudes from the blossoms before they mature into coconuts, is used to make many unique and nutritious food products.  The Coconut Secret line is the direct result of these artisanal family recipes."

When the Cave Man told me about this product, I thought he'd lost some marbles. A "soy free" soy sauce, made from coconut? It seems like coconut is a growing trend (with good reason) and that is what I expected from this product. It is truly, just coconut tree sap and salt. After reading the ingredients, my expectations hopped to a salty, coconutty, soy flavored sauce.

But when I tried it, I was surprised. Coconut Secret Aminos has a very light, smoky flavor and does not taste at all salty. I tried it on some rice with stir-fried veggies, and it has almost a barely-there flavor. It was just subtle enough to make my rice that much more enjoyable. And, you sure do learn something new every day. Coconut Secret also makes vinegar, nectar, flour, snack bars, coconut cream desserts and coconut crystals. 

I believe it when one of Cave Man's coworkers suggested this product as a marinade. Organic Tofu is going to become very, very intimate with the sap of a coconut tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment