Monday 1 October 2012

It's Time For The Reveal!





Another month of Foodie Penpals has passed. I was very lucky this month, for not only was my foodie penpal vegan, but she is a baker! Yep, I wished upon a star. You can visit Marisa's website HERE


The first thing I noticed was a large package full of chewy ginger candies and the lovely kitty card. Now, I really love ginger candies. It is these that got me through the nausea of my last pregnancy. So, I naturally shared them with my husband. Because I love him so much. Maybe also because I have some dental issues, and chewy candies are a no-go right now. But also, because I love him.



So what you see here is two jars. One is blueberry syrup, made by Marisa. The other is Creole sauce, made by her husband. Infront of those jars you will see nanaimo bars. That's right. I requested them, and Marisa was kind enough to spoil me. She sent me not one HUGE container, but two. Unfortunately, the packaging did not survive and they arrived open and a little messy, but that did not stop me from devouring them right away. And, I did share again.

Nanaimo bars are a big part of my childhood, and it has been about 8-10 years since I have been able to indulge. Thank you Marisa, you have inspired me to try making my own rendition.

Primal strips. Salty, savoury goodness. These are a rare treat for us indeed, and I enjoyed them accordingly. The little blue packages that you see in the back, that is almond butter! I was quite excited about this, because I knew it was something I would share with the two older wee ones. Ape boy and the little Twirler need treats, too. We spread it over rice cakes for them, and topped them with a little cinnamon.

According to Ape boy, he could not tell the difference between Almond Butter and Peanut Butter, but the Almond Butter is better.


Blueberry Syrup.



It was much celebrated, over lovely gluten free pancakes that the Husband made for us.


This is definately my favorite pancake recipe. Also, after these pictures were taken I tried a wee bit of peanut butter on my pancakes, topped with this yummy blueberry syrup. Either way, with or without peanut butter, this syrup is divine.


I honestly did not know what creole sauce was. Marisa suggested that it was tasty on burritoes, but I still didn't really get it. I even googled creole sauce, and was not sure. So, we decided to try it on Amy's Black Bean Burritoes. I quite enjoyed it! Similar to salsa, but much more hearty. A special treat, indeed! I always love the chance to try new things. Though that was not always the case. Before becoming vegan back in 2009, I would cringe at the sight of anything new. Now I am reassured with the simple fact that - hey, it's only plants.



To see what I sent my foodie penpal, visit Danielle at http://dishanddash.com/

FOODIE PENPALS INFO:

Here’s a detailed explanation of the program:
-On the 5th of the month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
-You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
-The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treatsThe spending limit is $15The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
-You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
-Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you can choose to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
- Foodie Penpals is open to US, Canadian residents & UK residents.  Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa. So, I’m going to keep two separate lists and match US w/ US and Canada w/ Canada!
***If you’re in the UK, please contact Carol Anne from This Is Rock Salt at rocksalt@thisisrocksalt.com to get involved!

To view more reveals, click the Foodie Penpals Website (The Lean Green Bean)

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the comment! Looking forward to following your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so glad everything--more or less--arrived okay. I was very worried about the Nanaimo bars because I was unsured how to make them any safer. I am happy you guys enjoyed everything.

    (I would have commented earlier but I've been in the US for the past two weeks.)

    ReplyDelete